Sunday, May 26, 2013

“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never"

What does it mean to persist?  Merriam-Webster says that it is “to go on resolutely or stubbornly in spite of opposition, importunity, or warning”.  To be persistent is to continue “for a long or longer than usual time”, as:  “We were nagged by a persistent salesman.”  Persistence is “the quality that allows someone to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult or opposed by other people”.

Now that I have established this framework for meaning, let’s see what examples I can find for the quality of persistence.  The first that comes to mind – probably for you too – is the story of Thomas Edison and the light bulb.  The common belief is that he invented it, but his contribution was improving the light bulb so that it would be commercially viable.  He was reported to have said, "I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work."

Another story that comes to mind is that of the tortoise and the hare.  This is one of Aesop’s fables, and the lesson is clear:  those who remain focused and persevere will win the race.  Those who become idle and distracted will lose.  It is a good illustration to remind us to stay in the race.

I can think of stories from my life.  In 2012, I followed a fitness and nutrition program over six weeks and dropped 25 pounds.  I was focused, determined, and most of all, persistent.  (I need to find this focus again.)  I can remember work and school projects that seemed insurmountable.  But constant and persistent focus would eventually bring me to a successful end.  And I have many goals that I am working toward in my life.  Others may not understand them. And yet I carry on.

Every day we are faced with obstacles that hinder our path.  We face failures and setbacks.  Things don’t go our way.  We are reminded by others  – sometimes very subtly -- of our shortcomings and limited success.  We see our goals in the distance, and we have a vision of achieving them. But they seem somehow out of reach.

Life is a struggle.  Those things that would hold us back should be seen in the light of the strengths that we know that we possess within ourselves.  It could be that no one else shares the vision, no one else is aware of the internal strength, no one else seems to support us. It is during these times that we draw deeply from the wells of our personal courage, ignore the naysayers, and –-

PERSIST!


Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

    -- Winston Churchill



No comments: