Friday, May 17, 2013

Finding Balance: The Golden Mean

Aristotle himself
I consider myself a student of Aristotle.  At least, I have read Nichomachean Ethics, and I am enamored with this idea of finding the mean between the extremes of excess and deficiency.  I highly recommend the book and what it teaches.  I have the impression that in the classical world folks enjoyed a certain wisdom that is now long forgotten.  That's probably stretching it.  But there is much to be learned.

I am sure that much of my discontent stems from some combination of excesses or deficiencies as regards various practices.  I'd rather not provide details, but the most obvious one is regarding eating. Consider that getting excess calories, sodium and saturated fat and deficient potassium and vital nutrients will cause the body to be out of balance and out of shape.  The same principle could be applied to other areas of our lives, including pursuits of courage, friendliness, and truthfulness.  Have a look at the table here:  Aristotle's Table of Virtues and Vices.

I aspire to some Golden Mean of virtue that would yield for me The Good Life, also known as  happiness (Gk. eudaimonia - sometimes translated as "living well").  As I consider this, I would like to go back and study this again and see how these teachings may apply to my life.  Better to live the examined life, one that is within the bounds of one's own values, than to either live a life of excess or deficiency.

No comments: