Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Three steps forward

I'm making progress. That's something. A few weeks ago I said to my colleague, Bob Crook, who sings Everly Brothers-style duets with me... "Bob," I said, "let's learn this music." So we did. We memorized about forty songs. I don't want to look at the song sheets again.

Next item. Johnny Cash. How did he make that sound? Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, standup bass. Luther Perkins on a Fender with a 5-watt tube amp, J.C. banging rhythm on the acoustic, Marshall Grant on upright bass. "Boom-chicka-boom". I've asked my friend Dan Carter to learn the cool Perkins riffs. And he has a Fender.

Vocal pop and jazz. I have three colleagues who are professional singers and are joining me in a vocal quartet. I don't suppose it will be commercial, but we will be singing at informal gatherings. I like the sound.

I sang at the ecumenical Pentecost fest on Monday in Frankfurt. Gospel music. But I don't suppose I'll ever entertain the masses with Gospel. Or even try to. It is too important to treat lightly.

And then there's swing. Not porch swing, not swinger, but swing music. I saw it the other day. I met some musicians. I saw the dancers. I liked it. Sinatra on an energy drink. I'll meet with some swing musicians in Munich soon and put something together.

All for now.

No comments: